Buy one from zShops for: $14.95
List price: $15.95 (that's 50% off!)
Used price: $9.94
Buy one from zShops for: $11.09
In this context R. Miles and C. Snow :
* discuss concept of fit.
* describe the external fit between the firm and its environment, and the internal fit of organization structure, management systems, and managerial ideology to a chosen strategy.
* discuss the companies (such as Carnegie Steel, GM, Sears, Roebuck, HP, and TRW) that pioneered the major organizational forms that have appeared over the past hundred years or so.
* discuss today's successful companies (such as GE, Wal-Mart, and Rubbermaid).
* discuss organizational failure and its major causes, identifying two generic types of failure.
* introduce and explore in detail the network organization and its three main variations : the stable, dynamic, and internal network as the 21st century's organization model.
* discuss mechanisms by which required fit is achieved at all three levels of the network form : across the entire network organization, among network firms in activated organizations, and within each of the specific network firms (such as Nike, Dell, Novell, and ABB).
* identify the forces pushing managers toward a new philosophy of management (human investment model).
* discuss companies that are struggling to redesign themselves-cutting costs, downsizing, bringing in new management teams, and so on.
* describe how total redesign may grow more costly in today's fast-paced world.
* illustrate that fit is no longer an idealistic "ought" but an economic "must"-not only within the firm but throughout the network form and the total global economy.
Detailed discussion of the concepts like technological change, cellular units, networks, network of alliances, interorganizational teamwork, spherical organization, shared knowledge see also William Halal's "The Infinite Resource (1998)", and "The New Management (1998)".
I highly recommend this "must" reading study.
Buy one from zShops for: $16.00
List price: $16.95 (that's 30% off!)
Used price: $8.95
Buy one from zShops for: $11.35
This is an amazing book and a must read for any canoe tripper. Also, anyone interested in true life adventure stories will surely not be disappointed. It's a gripping tale from start to finish. It's also a feat that will probably never be attempted again.
The only big question I have after reading this book is..Why hasn't someone made this gem into a movie? With all the twist and turns you'd think it would be a great candidate for the big screen.
Used price: $23.64
Buy one from zShops for: $28.19
List price: $16.95 (that's 30% off!)
Used price: $3.08
Collectible price: $16.94
Buy one from zShops for: $3.81
Used price: $9.95
Buy one from zShops for: $17.86
Those who have not served in combat will hopefully be able to use this book to better appreciate those who had to live through war. We learn that the CNN footage and glowing reports were not the reality of the Gulf War. It is a good clue to how our media sanitizes what we see and hear.
Get the book. Read the book. Learn the truth.
And so here it is for the rest of us. Prayer at Rumayla is a novel that tells it like it was, from an author who was there. Charles Sheehan-Miles was a member of a tank crew which took part in that famous "left hook" through the Iraqi desert. Written from a soldier's view, it tells some of the stuff that the news reports never did. And it does it within the universal theme of war's tragic consequences.
I would have preferred that the book be longer, with deeper characterization. But this is a good effort. Recommended...
His accurate, authentic, and unvarnished view of the shrieks, groans, horrors, and hell of combat between the U.S. and Iraq in 1991 provides a rare and illuminating glimpse into the heart of an M1A1 Abrams tank crewman.
With his laser-guided view from behind a 120mm cannon and .50 machine gun, Charles keeps faith with Gulf War combat veterans by telling it like it was, not only as a master storyteller, but with a gut-level emotional portrayal worthy of comparison with Leon Uris' "Battle Cry."
"Prayer at Rumayla" provides large caliber ammunition to the rarely heard voices of front-line Gulf War combat veterans searching for understanding in a clueless and insulated world, and the novel may provide an opportunity for some veterans to come to terms with living life after dispensing death.
As Charles' friend for more than 9 years, I know that "Prayer at Rumayla" gives readers the first-hand details left out of other books about the Gulf War -- the book is a "one of a kind."
As the U.S. prepares to send hundreds of thousands more young men and women into another war in Southwest Asia, his book is a must-read for potential recruits and government policymakers who never set foot on a modern day battlefield.
- Paul Sullivan
Cavalry Scout, 1st Armored Division
Gulf War Veteran
List price: $24.95 (that's 30% off!)
Used price: $6.59
Collectible price: $27.95
Buy one from zShops for: $24.99
Used price: $48.00
Used price: $68.00
Buy one from zShops for: $80.85